Landmark building
This 1927 building occupies an entire block, with an impressive entrance courtyard serving as the focal point. Monumental fluted Doric columns support the balconies, while the main facade is highlighted by an attractive pediment and a dutch gable.

Rich in history
Home to prominent past residents such as E. P. Taylor, John Diefenbaker, Tommy Douglas, and Shirley Thomson, The Strathcona is a noted marker in Ottawa's political, cultural, and social history. Living here, you can take your place in history.

Ideally situated
Located within minutes of downtown, the Byward Market, and the University of Ottawa, The Strathcona Apartments sit on a ridge overlooking Strathcona Park, the Rideau River, and numerous embassies and high commissions.


Apartment layouts

Ranging from cozy studio units to spacious two bedroom plus den apartments, The Strathcona offers a wide selection of layouts tailored to tenant preferences. Rooms are well-proportioned, with ample window placement on exterior walls.

The Strathcona's largest apartments feature formal dining rooms, large covered balconies, and windows on multiple exposures for cross ventilation. Select units feature two bathrooms and in-suite laundry connections.


The interiors

High ceilings and hardwood floors are a hallmark of The Strathcona, along with large wood frame windows to let in natural light. The wide heritage mouldings are painted white, complementing plaster walls finished in a warm neutral shade.

Select renovated units have open concept kitchens with granite countertops, wooden cabinets and doors, dishwashers, and laundry hookups. Central air conditioning is installed in a few exclusive apartments.


The building

Built in 1927, The Strathcona boasts underground parking and a choice location in Sandy Hill. With its massive columns and elegant pediment, it is a landmark in this desireable area. Its prominent former residents include John Diefenbaker (in the right wing) and Tommy Douglas (appropriately in the left wing).

Designated under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, The Strathcona is recognized by the City of Ottawa for its massive columns, elaborate pediment and dressed stone coursing, marking an important transition in the Sandy Hill neighbourhood from small scale residences to large apartment buildings.


The community

The Strathcona is within steps of Strathcona Park and in walking distance of commercial amenities along Laurier and Rideau Streets and all that Ottawa's Byward Market has to offer. Sandy Hill's treelined streets lend themselves to pleasant strolls in one of Ottawa's oldest neighbourhoods.

Laurier Avenue East – from King Edward Avenue to Strathcona Park – has been home to a storied and diverse group of individuals including multiple Fathers of Confederation and Prime Ministers. Learn more about the Prime Ministers' Row initiative at pmr-apm.ca.



Address

404 Laurier Avenue East

Constructed

1926-1927

Designer / Builder

The Godson Building Co. Limited

Style

Beaux Arts / Edwardian inspired

Floors

Five

Special amenities

Gym and rooftop terrace

Parking

Interior and exterior

Elevators

Two passenger elevators

Heritage designation

Designated under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (1995)

Further reading

   Ottawa Citizen - 20 April 1927, Page 7  (news.google.ca)

   The “Grand Dames”: Ottawa’s historic apartment buildings  (spacing.ca)


Current availability

No items found.